Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Jesus.... Lord and Judge


For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man.
John 5:26-27

Jesus states two facts about Himself here that should cause us to pause in reflection, worship, respect, and wonder. First, Jesus unequivocally claims to be the self-existent, independent, eternal Son of God. He uses the language of the “I AM” God Who revealed Himself to Moses at the burning bush. He has “life in himself” as the Father “has life in himself”. This is Jesus’ way of saying “I AM that I AM”. It is really a powerful revelation of Who He is.

Secondly, Jesus claims to be given the authority to be the final Judge of all people. The Father has given Him the authority to judge. The Father has sent Jesus as the “Son of Man”! That title describes a person whom the prophets foretold would come at the end of days. Jesus is the final authority. Jesus is the One to whom all souls shall give an account. The Son of God is the Son of Man and is our Judge.

There is no way to dodge these facts. By faith, I come to Jesus Who is my God and find my soul’s salvation and new life. By faith I accept His grace and mercy acknowledging He is my only Judge. By faith I turn from sin, trust my Savior, repeatedly repent, respect His perfect justice, and find life in the One Who is life itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment