Monday, January 20, 2020

grace flowing in humility

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
1 Peter 5:5b

If I want to have a life filled with the consistent experience of God’s grace, then it is important for me to also let God cultivate within me true humility. With humility God pours out real daily grace. In the humble submission of my heart to the work of Jesus, my Savior Who humbled Himself and became obedient to death for me, I can find the beginning of a life lived in the grace of God. I must cease being the center of my own personal universe. I must humbly trust Christ. I must demote my selfish clambering for attention. I must strip off my pride and let the humility of Jesus clothe my naked ambitions.

I am reminded of a proverb that has captured my attention from my youth: “The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life.” (Proverbs 22:4.) And grace is the outpouring of God’s riches in Christ. The reward I aim for is a future “well done” from Jesus... the ultimate compliment. And the life I thoroughly enjoy now is in the Christian lifestyle that wells up to eternal life like an ever flowing cool spring of clear water sourced in Jesus.

O Lord,
I long to know Your grace! Keep me graciously, and happily, humble.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment