Thursday, January 23, 2020

deceived by desires


Yet I will leave some of you alive. When you have among the nations some who escape the sword, and when you are scattered through the countries, then those of you who escape will remember me among the nations where they are carried captive, how I have been broken over their whoring heart that has departed from me and over their eyes that go whoring after their idols. And they will be loathsome in their own sight for the evils that they have committed, for all their abominations.
Ezekiel 6:8-9

The “PG-13” kind of language that God used to describe the idolatry of His people is not just meant to get attention. It truthfully describes the way in which idolatry turns our hearts from God. Idolatry begins with a strong appeal to our deepest urges. It will play to our desires and lusts. It will seem pretty sexy. Israel and Judah fell away because they wanted personal and even illicit sexual fulfillment from sinful pursuits rather than from God’s revealed will.

God promises them that in the aftermath of the judgmental consequences of their sinful idolatry, they would painfully become aware of how this sensual idolatry of their own whoring hearts had hurt God. Their choices led to their judgment. They had been unfaithful. Idolatry leads to only temporary pleasure and a life of regretful, frustrating pain. Their hearts and eyes had been deceived and they would be suffering in the awareness of the depths of that deception.

O Lord,
Give me eyes that see the gospel at work in me and around me. My heart can be drawn away by idolatrous desires. I want to be faithful to You, Lord Jesus, for You are always faithful and true to me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment