Wednesday, November 6, 2019

wisdom in community


Listen to advice and accept instruction,
that you may gain wisdom in the future.
Proverbs 19:20

Every Christian must grow and live in community. We need each other. By God’s design we interact in a way where we can give and receive advice, care, and even correcting insights from one another. We just need to empower each other to do this as we trust that God knows what He is doing in placing people in our lives.

Just yesterday I enjoyed the value of this truth. People turn to me, as their pastor, for advice. It is one of the great joys of ministry to care for people by counseling them from scripture, in prayer, by mutual conversation. And God even brings people into my day with a word of instruction, caution, and encouragement that I know is meant for me. It is a joy to talk things out, with ears to hear words that might be hard for the person to say, and hearts that mutually care for each other. And if the words have a tinge of rebuke, that is coming from God, I will listen and accept that God in His mercy is helping me to find a place to grow in the community of the church. 

To find peace, resolution, and comfort in Christ as Christians settle any misunderstandings and disagreements is wonderful. Lord knows, it is absolutely horrible when we DON’T talk about these things! But the gospel lives when we will give and receive advice and instruction from God’s Word, with God’s people, for God’s glory.

Lord,
I will listen to the people that You bring into my days. Where I can offer Your Word’s wisdom I will. Where I need to hear from them in order to grow in wisdom, I will. Thank You for gospel community!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment