Thursday, November 14, 2019

God sees... and that is reward enough.


For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do.
Hebrews 6:10

Salvation in Jesus’ transforming work in those who believe the gospel is shown by their actions which show love for God and His people. The author of Hebrews encourages his original readers that the “things that belong to salvation” are evidenced in them by this: They labor in their faith. They love God. They serve the saints in the Body of Christ. And God never misses this truth about them. It might go unseen by some, ignored, or despised by the world around them, but God saw it.

This is why, as Paul reminds us elsewhere, our labor is not in vain in the Lord. Men may not see it. Men may gauge our actions or motives wrongly. Even other Christians may not recognize it in each other. But we aren’t serving for human applause or the recognition of our peers. We answer to God, Who knows our hearts.

Today, Lord, I pray that I will be looking only for Your eyes to see what I do. I wish to work, in the gospel, for the glory of Your name, out of love for You. I wish to serve Your saints with the hands You have set apart to minister my Savior’s touch. And help me to reject men-pleasing... to let Your Spirit and Word permeate my heart to purge out selfish motives, so that which goes with salvation, goes with me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment