Wednesday, November 27, 2019

mercy and gratitude


And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments.
Luke 24:34

To pray for your own executioners as you hang in the humiliating agony of crucifixion seems the greatest mercy. It is superhuman, beyond the capacity of a person to give that kind of grace. But God does it. And Jesus prayed for forgiving mercy to fall on those who callously led Him up Golgotha, who nailed Him to a cross, and who cruelly gambled dismissively for his only earthly possessions, the clothes He wore, as Jesus was dying right in front of them. Even the cruelest human actions can be redeemed in the mercy of Jesus.

As onlookers scoffed and joked as His execution, the sign above Jesus silently spoke the truth: This is the King of the Jews. And as many mocked Him for claiming to be the Messiah, He slowly accomplished the work of redemption that only He, as the true and holy King could do. Nobody there understood what was happening. But mercy fell on humanity with each drop of Jesus’ blood.

As I contemplate the things for which I am truly thankful, this is at the top, the center, and the circle of them all! The grace of my Savior, His love at the cross, His mercy to all sinners, is the greatest gift in my life. It is at the core of my life. It takes rule over the kingdom of my heart. The cross of Jesus Christ is the source of all my gratitude, and the life of my resurrected Savior is my life and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment