Wednesday, October 23, 2019

the neediest neighbor


Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker,
but he who is generous to the needy honors him.
Proverbs 14:31

My faith and theology are made quite evident in how I treat the neediest people. It is so easy to dismiss the man at the busy intersection with a cardboard sign as just another con artist. Some might be. Most are not. All are sinners in need of a Savior. The truth is there is a story... a very human story... a very God-written story... in the life of every person on the planet. To dismiss a poor person as a lazy beggar is to ultimately insult the God Who made the person and is writing their story. To ignore need is to ignore God. To turn away in disgust is to functionally believe that God messed up with His creation.

If I want to honor God, I will seek to care for those God has made. I will love the people for whom Christ died. I will honor God by helping those God may put in front of me, and though I cannot eliminate all poverty, I CAN care for the people God has created for His glory. I can care and honor God by doing so.

It is impossible for me to lift every person from a street corner by providing all they need. It is not impossible for God. My care can be used by God Who is always seeking to restore such souls. And if more Christians would care in such a way, a huge difference can be made. If we met needs and shared the good news of Jesus’ death and resurrection and new life, we can help rewrite stories! God will be honored and God will bless those who truly honor Him by caring for and loving their neighbors... especially their neediest neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment