Friday, October 4, 2019

Súperfan of sinners


Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.
Luke 15:10

On earth a soul repents. A sinner is saved by belief in the gospel. And in the grandstands of heaven angels are in exuberant cheering! Jesus Himself leads the crowd in the glorious, thrilling wave of rejoicing. Jesus, Who died for sin, Who carried all sorrows, guilt, and pain with Him on the cross is the loudest and most expressive superfan of repentant sinners. The angels are in the presence of God, with Jesus at the Father’s right hand. And in the presence of the angels the rejoicing takes place as the Father high fives the Son when a sinner repents.

Do I share the gospel, bless my neighbors with the good news that Jesus saves sinners so that this will bring joy to God? Or instead, do I act more like the Pharisees, looking down my stinking self-righteous nose from a cloistered position of false security, afraid and judgmental of those who don’t have all their moral ducks in a row? Will I have the heart of Jesus Who will passionately seek the lost? Will I be the friend of all, no matter who they are or what they’ve done, unashamedly loving them by telling them about Jesus’ offer of rescue for them?

The gospel calls me to be like Jesus. The Savior will go after the lost sheep with purpose. He will sweep the house to find  the lost coin. He will run to embrace the returning prodigal. Jesus loves sinners... sinners who are just like me... and so should I.

No comments:

Post a Comment