Thursday, October 24, 2019

older


Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness.
Titus 2:2

From what I can tell, this verse now applies to me in my season of life. This is the standard Christ expects of me within His church. In my own church, I am an “older man”. I have adult kids. I have a mature marriage that has/is weathering life for the long haul. I am blessed to have been well discipled from my youth up, to have had lots of other men and women over my lifetime invest in me as we have invested together in helping people love and follow Jesus. I will turn 56 in about 5 weeks. And my goal in ministry is to develop new, younger leaders.

But my character expectations need to align with what Paul describes here. My reputation needs to be serious, regarded with respect, a man who is not controlled by bad or sinful impulses, possessing solid theology in what I believe. I need to be a man known for his love, for his faith, and for his passionate stability. All those character qualities challenge me to keep following Jesus, keep repenting of my sin, keep at the intake of scripture, and keep at growth in the gospel.

Lord,
I thank You for this season in my life where I need You so that I might be the kind of older man in whom You can be seen. I need Your grace and redemption. There is lots in me that should NOT be seen! Help me make You known in all You are doing in me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment