Wednesday, August 7, 2019

growing over time


Long have I known from your testimonies
that you have founded them forever.
Psalm 119:152

Although I feel like the very first word of this verse is my personal experience with scripture, I in no way possible, even come close to trusting God and His Word as fully as I should. The Word of God and the Holy Spirit of God still must daily chip away at what does not look like Jesus in me. Long I have known the surety of the scriptures. And I have a long way still to go. Repentance, faith, and growth in understanding the Bible are a constant and consistent daily need in me and will be my lifestyle until I die.

Growth has happened. I live substantially different (and better spiritually) in my fifties than I did in my twenties. For that I am so thankful! The Word of God that is founded forever is bringing me so much. It will lead me well into the autumn and winter of my life, where I hope to still see God bless the “long obedience in the same direction” (a great term for the Christian life coined by the late Eugene Petersen).

The stability of scripture sustains me at a “pilgrim’s pace” (to switch to Bunyan’s ageless analogy now). The daily drip of an infusion of God’s mind and thoughts via the intake of scripture are what I always need. Long I have known His testimonies. May I know them even longer for they will sustain me, as I follow them to Jesus, every day... until my last earthly day opens my soul up into living forever with my Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment