Wednesday, November 7, 2018

when ministry hurts

For I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you.
2 Corinthians 2:4

Ministry can be intensely painful because love can come with tears. That’s what Paul said to the Corinthians. In his first letter he had to correct them. He chided them for sin that they tolerated. He cried over them with a broken heart. And the result of the letter was that the church repented in tears as well. So the pain led to good change. But it still hurt.

In this second letter, Paul can take a more encouraging tone with them. The church knew Paul loved them. He loved them enough to say hard truth to them. He loved them enough to be anguished over them. And that was a special kind of relationship to be cherished. We anguish in love for others when Jesus loves through us.

After three decades of pastoral ministry, I know the joys and the pains of shepherding. I don’t think I’ve ever quite reached the apostolic anguish of Paul, but I’ve grieved over the wrong choices of others. I’ve shared in the repentance journey with many people. I’ve seen God restore what is broken, through tears and I have a grateful heart to have walked the gospel road in this way, privileged to share such an intimate journey with the people God has brought into my life by His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment