Wednesday, November 28, 2018

the noble task


The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task.
1 Timothy 1:3

For thirty years now I have devoted myself to aspiring to this “noble task” of serving the church as an elder/overseer/pastor. And Paul’s words ring so true. I thought I knew what I was getting into that Sunday in 1988 when the little Baptist congregation I served convened an ordination council. I had my doctrinal statement written and a philosophy of ministry paper to be examined by worthy men I respected for their wisdom, experience, and integrity.

Yet the one thing that has most marked my days of ministry in this noble task was really never brought up in ordination. That day to day backbone of ministry has been the care ministry of bearing burdens with people I have learned to love. Three decades of ministry later, I’ve cared a lot, cried a lot, shared joys and heartaches, been profoundly disappointed when sin will not be forsaken, glimpsed eternity among the saints and fallen hard into the arms of Jesus with many of the people I’ve been called to serve. Pastors pray and counsel and love and give lots of time away. It is a joy and it is hard work. I think it is the greatest of privileges and I have come to deeply appreciate what I do.

On any given Sunday I look at a church made of individuals and families... many of whom I have shared personal struggles and great private victories with as their pastor and friend. I see not faces, but circumstances. I know things perhaps no one else may know but God Himself. I feel the heart of the Great Shepherd for His Flock, even though I myself sometimes selfishly wish to not have to know what I know or do what I do. I double down in those moments on letting Jesus lead me so I can lead them. It brings such a feeling... I can’t really adequately describe it. It is very much a noble task.

No comments:

Post a Comment