Friday, November 9, 2018

Reconciliation: ministry and message


All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:18-19

The gospel spells out for believers what their life focus must be. Paul reflects upon it in this passage with the clear commitment to the ministry and the message of reconciliation. God is reconciling people to Himself through Christ’s work on the cross. Faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior restores people and makes peace with God.

I love this passage. For me it is my favorite description and summary of Christian ministry. I build my ministry manifesto upon it. Almost twenty two years ago, as a candidate for associate pastor at Mill Creek Community Church, I preached my first sermon to the church, describing a gospel vision of ministry. I was committed to seeing the church faithful to gospel proclamation so that God could transform lives then. I have been blessed beyond my ability to even describe as God has done so. And this is still my unchanged commitment.

Lord,
May the ministry and the message of reconciliation still refine my thinking and define my service to You. I can do nothing else with this life... quite literally. Every daily task of churchmanship that You give to me, I will lay before You so that You may reconcile, through Christ, people to Yourself.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment