Monday, November 26, 2018

Scripture’s necessity


As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good. If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed. Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.
2 Thessalonians 3:13-15

Understanding, following, and obeying scripture are essential and necessary to the life of a follower of Jesus. We can never really live like Jesus if we live lives devoid of scripture’s teaching, input, and direct application. Paul told these Thessalonian believers to warn and to discipline any who would not regard and follow the teaching of his letter to them. That’s because the instruction of scripture gives the Christian the only trusted direction and input from God. God’s Spirit leads His children by means of God’s Word.

I just finished a two week “spiritual experiment” based on something I read on my sabbatical, deciding (poorly) to take the popular advice that I kept reading from many to “hear from God” in my circumstances. I really tried to figure out what was happening and chose to read scripture academically, but deliberately chose NOT to see it inform my life. In the end, I doubt that I heard from anything other than my own thoughts and personally, it was a WASTE OF TWO WEEKS! 

Only in the Bible do I hear the loud, clear, authoritative, and trustworthy voice of God. I will stick with the daily discipline of reading scripture, looking for application to my life, and trusting God’s voice is loud and clear in its pages. That is the best benefit to my spiritual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment