Tuesday, November 27, 2018

great mercy to me

But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.
1 Timothy 1:16

Paul was grateful for the mercy he found in the forgiving love of Jesus because when he called himself “the foremost”, what he meant was that he was at the top of the line of sinners (see 1 Timothy 1:15). Paul was forgiven of much. Before his conversion, he worked against the gospel. He so hated Jesus that he captured and killed Christians (see Acts 7:58; 8:1; 9:1-2).

Paul was a great sinner who was forgiven of much. He knew the tender mercy of Jesus. He loved Jesus Christ for being patient enough to save even him. He was grateful that God used him though he had once tried to destroy Christ’s work. God now worked in Paul through Christ to bring others to eternal life and to build His Church.

Every sinner, including me especially, receives mercy so that Christ might show His patience and love so that others may have eternal life. I may have responded to the gospel as a child, but even then, I received great mercy. I know this because now, nearly half a century later, I am aware how Jesus saves great sinners like me because the struggle is very real. 

Thank You, Jesus, for Your mercy and perfect patience with a sinner like me. You have shown me great mercy and always will. May I know it so that others might know You.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment