Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Fighting sin means something good.

 
I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me.
Romans 7:9-10

I deeply appreciate Paul's candid journaling of his struggle with sin in Romans seven. I find hope in knowing even apostles had their wicked, painful fights with powerlessness over sin. Paul's admission that the good law of God only seemed to make more sin rise up in him is sad but true. The same thing can happen, does happen, to me.

Knowledge of God's Word often only produces more awareness of sin in me. It is why I need to trust Jesus. I can't do God's righteous demands. I need grace, mercy, and forgiveness. I need the righteousness of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit to transform me. I need what only the gospel can give.

And so wrestling with sin is a good thing. Don't get me wrong... I hate that I have sinful struggles daily. I am not proud that I must be confronted by God's Word and Spirit nearly constantly. But there is also hope for me. I believe my sin fight is a good fight. It means that I am not content to just "give in" to what is evil. It means that I have the Holy Spirit working within, convicting me to move beyond that sin with which I struggle. For that I am tremendously thankful, for if I had no fight on my hands, I probably would already be beaten and enslaved, blinded by and blind to my sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment