Tuesday, June 18, 2024

why thoughts need renewal


Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:2

Here is why I need the Word of God and the Spirit of God to renew my mind:

1) I will tend to do what I think about. This is a fact of life. How I think about my circumstances, my relationships, my opportunities, my feelings, and my desires will direct my actions sooner or later. Those choices cannot be visceral or else I will struggle with consistently pleasing the Lord. I need faith working with the truth (facts) revealed in scripture to renew my thinking constantly.

2) I always am thinking. There is an internal monologue in my head 24/7. Yes, my brain still processes in my sleep! And that conversation with myself needs to be directed toward God in unceasing prayer and must be scripturally saturated to keep my thoughts on track. 

3) There is relentless pressure to think wrongly in this world! The world system constantly tries to squeeze my thoughts into a sinful cultural conformity. I must resist that through releasing God’s Word to renew my thinking.

4) God asks me to steward my thoughts and feelings. In scripture and through the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit, I can take control of thoughts rather than be controlled arbitrarily by whatever flits into this head! In this way, God will lead me to do His will. I can know I am pleasing Him. Renewal brings God’s direction! That’s a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment