Wednesday, June 19, 2024

regeneration and renewal


But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit…
Titus 3:4-5

Jesus brought a salvation that we desperately needed. He came to save sinners like me! In His work He both regenerates and renews. And both of those spiritual works are what every human being needs.

This passage is very clear that though I may WANT to do good things… I may even aspire to live as much like Jesus as I possibly can… and indeed I can  think I am doing very good at it… but those efforts will fail to save me. God, however, in grace, goodness, and loving kindness provided salvation in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, the only Son of God. My works will never be good enough. I fail to be holy. I need the holiness of Christ. Only Jesus can save. Only He provides what I need.

I needed  regeneration… a rebirth… and in Jesus I am remade no longer foolish, disobedient, a slave to sinful passion, and hateful (Titus 3:3). And solely by Christ and in the work of God’s indwelling Holy Spirit I am renewed. My time in the Word of God, being led, filled, and taught by the Spirit of God continue daily to renew my heart and mind. I need it! I love it! I want it! Thank God that He does the work that I cannot do. He regenerates and renews!

No comments:

Post a Comment