Wednesday, August 17, 2022

perspective for pastors


And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
1 Peter 5:4

This is an encouragement written to church elders. Leaders have intense responsibility. I’ve lived my life in service to Jesus and His church. It is a source of both joy and sorrow. A very wise man once told me very early in my ministry that as a pastor I needed to set my eyes on Jesus for my joy because some situation of hurt with people will ALWAYS be on the pastor’s heart. He was right. 

Shepherding isn’t about impressing people with a Sunday sermon perfectly on point. It isn’t about getting all my theological ducks in a row. It is however about getting into REAL LIFE with people that Jesus asks me to know and love. Together we face heartache, illness, death, loss, grief, and broken human experience looking to Jesus for our strength. And sometimes their choices absolutely break my heart. Tears, sweat, and prayer are daily experiences. There are very real joys, so don’t get me wrong. They are great. But the world is broken and we know it. Rarely does a pastor have a day not touched with at least a twinge of sorrow.

The call Peter makes in chapter five to church elders is serious work (1 Peter 5:1-7). We shepherd Christ’s church. We must lead, feed, guard, guide, and protect them. It is a constant effort. Ministry has no “off” switch. We must oversee the church. That higher perspective drives elders to be always in the Word seeking God’s will and ways, praying constantly. What I love about serving with the elders in my church is that we pray EVERY TIME we meet, substantially… for one another… for our church… for wisdom. That’s how we oversee. 

By the way, natural talents of an elder are inconsequential. Supernatural commitment is what is needed. We must however be willing. A servant’s heart drives pastors. Anything else leads to domineering abuse and/or financial robbery. We should be eager. Honestly, each day is a new day to impact eternity. And it is humbling, but pastors are examples. Good or bad, people see us, look at us, and may emulate us. We must set the example of Jesus before them.

Lord,
The pressure to lead Your flock is intense. The reward is precious. Protect pastors! Give them tender hearts of love. Weed out the bad ones from Your kingdom’s field! Encourage the tender shepherds to stay at it, especially in these contentious, opinionated, dangerous days. Give them sensitive and loving shepherd’s hearts and hands. Protect them so Your church thrives!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment