Monday, July 25, 2022

True God vs idols


But the LORD is the true God;
he is the living God and the everlasting King.
At his wrath the earth quakes,
and the nations cannot endure his indignation.
Jeremiah 10:10

Humans always produce mass quantities of false gods. And God will not compete with a host of pitiful little impotent idols! He beats them every time by proving Himself in power and in judgment. Still… cultures keep cranking out their puny idols for the adoration of any who will follow them. And they can make them damn appealing.

Israel was destroyed for the worship of false gods. Jerusalem was leveled and Judah taken captive for seven decades for the very same reason. God would show Himself to be far greater than any carved image or idol worked from gold or silver. In the end people would see the wrath of the living God was greater than the appeal of dead idols. God’s people would fear Him as the everlasting King as their false gods burned to ash in the remnants of a former deception.

O true God,
You are the living God Who will not stand for my heart to worship a dead idol. Oh I am much too sophisticated to bow to a carved image. There are no Baals of gold on my mantelpiece. Instead, my idolatry is often evidenced subtly in my heart. Lord, help me to see when I enshrine any want, any material thing, any experience in this life in a way that I should not! Purge me of idols, shake my world if You must so that the True God, the Living God, You… the everlasting King… are all of my worship.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment