Thursday, July 7, 2022

higher thoughts and ways


For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9

We must understand that these statements about the transcendent greatness of God are actually an invitation for us to truly know Him. They are part of a broader invitation to seek Him, call upon Him, and return to Him (Isaiah 55:6-7). The wicked person is invited to forsake his current way. The unrighteous person is called to turn from her thoughts. What do they get instead? God’s holy thoughts are offered in exchange. God’s excellent ways can be our experience. No longer bound to earthly thoughts, we can soar into the holy heavens! No more cursed to live by our sinful ways, we can find a much higher path with a life of seeking and pleasing God!

And in Jesus we can think better thoughts. In Jesus we can live a better way. We don’t have to be stuck in past hurts, mistakes, failures, or broken relationships. We don’t have to be trapped by our inability to truly please God. In Jesus we are forgiven, made new, and made whole again to walk in a way that pleases the Lord. And this surpasses all we could think or do… ever.

Lord, Your thoughts are not my thoughts… they are infinitely better thoughts and I seek You.
Lord, You ways are not my ways… they are eternally better ways and I follow You.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment