Monday, July 11, 2022

Fight for peace and holiness.

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.
Hebrews 12:14

Peace with all my relationships is an inviting prospect. A peaceful life is a low anxiety life. Having harmonious relationships leads to an enjoyable life. And holiness that pleases God is also an inviting hope. No more struggles with sin would be so nice. No more moral conflicts, sinful consequences, or guilty feelings are the best hope I can imagine. And this command puts both peace and holiness before us… if we are willing to strive for them. That’s right. We are commanded to fight  for peace and to fight for holiness.

Peace must be fought for personally. Yet the problem is I fight in all the wrong ways. I see the other person as ALL the problem to being at peace. I attack the person, not the problem. But there is a problem, and I am almost always a part of it in some way. So I must fight for peace in my own heart first. Will I choose to forgive? Will I take ownership of how my actions have hurt the relationship? Will I see my own sin as worse? Will I deal with my own sin first? Will I prioritize my repentance from sin the most? That is how to strive for peace… I can deal with me. I can believe, repent, and seek reconciliation with God and others.

Holiness also must be fought for. Again, I must let the Word of God and the Holy Spirit of God search my own heart. Will I confess my sin when I am convicted of it? Will I seriously expose my life to the preaching, teaching, and personal study of God’s Word so that I can see my life and my world for what it truly is? Will I let looking into that mirror show me what is wrong? Will I turn from what God reveals as wrong in me, obey His Word, follow Jesus, and let Him sanctify me? Will I put off sin in order to put on the fruit of the Spirit and the character of Christ? Holiness and peace are worth fighting for! Strive for peace and holiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment