Wednesday, July 13, 2022

benediction in Christ


Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Hebrews 13:20-21

There are two parts of this prayer of benediction worth thinking over. The first part emphasizes What God Did. God made peace through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus. God made a new eternal covenant with us by the shed blood of His Son. God provided in Jesus, the Great Shepherd of our souls, our protection. And we should always be filled with praise to our God, grateful for what He has done!

The second part of this prayer of benediction anticipates What God Will Do. The Lord will equip those He has redeemed to do His will. The Lord will help us now, in Christ, through His Holy Spirit to do what pleases Him. Through Jesus we can do and be all that God has always wanted and we find pleasure in bringing joy to our God. Jesus has made our peace with God and has also made our lives pleasing to God.

O God,
I am thankful today for what Jesus has done for me. By His sacrifice and resurrection I am saved. Through Christ my soul has been shepherded safely back to You. And forever now, in His new covenant, I am kept. Thank You for what You have done!

I anticipate Your continuing work in me, my God. Keep equipping me in Jesus by Your Word and Holy Spirit. I am here now to do Your will and capable of pleasing You through Your Son in Whom You are delighted. I seek to find my pleasure in pleasing You, my Lord!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment