Friday, November 6, 2020

when God shows up


So I arose and went out into the valley, and behold, the glory of the LORD stood there, like the glory that I had seen by the Chebar canal, and I fell on my face.
Ezekiel 3:23

There is a weird bit of Christian slang that I sometimes hear friends toss around to describe moments of transcendence: “God showed up”. Usually they are describing some experience of becoming aware of God’s working... a meaningful worship service, a helpful spiritual insight, or perhaps the conversion of someone they know. 

I get the slang because I have used it myself a time or two. But if we read the Old Testament prophets, we might be a lot less casual about tossing the phrase around! For Ezekiel, when God showed up, His glory was manifested visibly. The prophet fell on his face in reverent fear! It was kind of a scary sort of wonderful! Encountering God should lead to a demotion of our personal sense of importance and an exaltation of the Lord through our sincere, humble, and thoughtful worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment