Thursday, November 19, 2020

no matter what


...as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.
Philippians 1:20

Paul’s hope rested in Christ no matter what. The apostle believed that the outcome of his imprisonment, whether it was release to preach the gospel, or martyrdom because of the gospel, would bring glory to Jesus Christ. When the end vision is to see Jesus made much of, our circumstances cannot rob us of the joy of our hope and those circumstances help us to worship Jesus at all times.

Of course it is the last six words of this statement of Paul that are the firmest commitment. We all can sign on to the wish to glorify Christ by life when given that option. It is harder to accept that we could do so by death. Will that ever truly be tested? I pray that I would have this kind of confident courage if it ever were.

Lord Jesus,
You are worth living for with all that I have. And like Paul, may I confidently pray to honor you in my body, no matter what.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment