Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Can’t do it alone


Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.
Galatians 6:2-3

Authentic ministry (and by that I mean gospel-centered love of neighbor that is informed and motivated by the love of Jesus for us) will be the death of self-pride. Bearing and caring for the burden of another human being requires a selfless, Christ-like love. It isn’t a matter of pride. It brings us to simple and necessary humility.

Until you have entered into another person’s suffering or grieved with them over the devastation of a broken world system, or mourned with them over the losses their own sins have dealt them, you cannot possibly have known the “burden” talked about here. Burdens are impossibly heavy. They crush the soul. They cannot be borne alone. Christian love compels us to carry them to Jesus together!

Lord Jesus,
I want to obey Your call to love well in bearing burdens. My schedule for this week has eleven planned “burden bearing” conversations with hurting people. Three of those interactions are happening today. O God, Purge me of self-interest or prideful thinking. I do not have the power to do this on my own! I need you Lord Jesus, to help me see the need, love well, and carry hope to the hurting. Make my pride and self NOTHING so that You can be everything through Your love through me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment