Friday, August 21, 2020

unshakeable community


Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.
2 Corinthians 1:7

God has wisely created His church, the Body of Christ, to be a place of strength in all our weaknesses, a bright hope when things feel hopeless, and an enduring comfort in seasons of suffering. I have seen this now for half a century. My life has been full as I’ve lived in this place of strength, perspective, hope, and comfort. This doesn’t mean I’ve never known weakness. I am sometimes very powerless. I doesn’t mean I’ve never been confused. I have faced perplexing circumstances... even complex ones right now. It doesn’t mean I’ve never felt despair. I have... and only the hope of the gospel keeps me going, especially as I see it lived out in community. I have had my share of grief... and I know comfort in the loving understanding and mutual worship of Jesus that exists among my brothers and sisters!

God gives us, by His wisdom and grace, both trials and triumphs. He brings times of suffering so that we might grow close in mutual comfort. He brings seasons of change so that together His redeemed people might grow to be more like Jesus. The difficulties are often the brightest points when we look back at what God is doing.... they are the moments we have seen God the most. That is the power of the comfort of the gospel. Sharing in that builds Christian community that is unshakeable.

Lord,
I thank You that You are helping me stay stable is shaking days. My present difficulties are shared in Your church, and as together we look to the cross, the empty tomb, and lift our prayers to You, Lord Jesus, we are kept strong! You have us. We are yours. These times are Your plan and we will trust, make You known, and be comforted together as we live by Your grace.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment