Friday, August 7, 2020

soul talk


Why are you cast down, O my soul,
and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God.
Psalm 42:11

Emotion overwhelms:
sorrow, pain,
bewildering change.
It all seems more than
I can take in.
It is all more than
I should manage.

I want to give in.
I want to just feel bad.
I want everybody to pity me...
to be noticed in my suffering
as if that would make me feel better.
It doesn’t.

The flood of feelings, I can’t control.
The desire to empower them to
get me what I want IS
what I do control.

I tell myself to pray.
I tell myself to trust God.
I tell myself to hope.
And by that soul talk I change.

I find God’s Word telling me
what to say to my soul,
how to choose to think
about how I feel, and
Who to believe when 
I am overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment