Tuesday, August 18, 2020

lousy camouflage

...if I have concealed my transgressions as others do
by hiding my iniquity in my heart...
Job 31:33

Secret sins don’t fool God and ultimately they will not go unseen by others. In this chapter, Job is making his summary defense appeal to his accusing friends. He is not defensively covering anything. He honestly defends his integrity as a wise man who has done his utmost to worship and obey God. He knows God knows because he knows God knows all hearts.

It is the inner person that is who we really are. It is where our thoughts, our choices, our emotions, and our passions live. Outwardly we can try to mask all of that part of us, even concealing the worst things about us. But God cuts through all our pretense. His Word and His Holy Spirit pierce our lame disguises and see our hearts. We cannot hide from what God knows about us.

The best way then to live my life is in the constant awareness that God knows all my faults, and has forgiven them in Christ. I keep no secrets from Him. He loves me in spite of this, giving His Son as my Savior even though I was and still am a person who thinks I succeed as a skilled deceiver of others. My heart must be as open as Job describes. I must not think I conceal my sin and hide my iniquity. Instead, I confess it to God, I turn from it, I humbly claim only the grace of Jesus, and I don’t flaunt my prideful sanctimony. I share in the misery of sin with others so we can rejoice in the holiness Jesus gives to us!

Lord Jesus,
Today I will be tempted to hide my sin from You. I will be tempted to think sanctimoniously that I am holier than other people. That is lousy camouflage. Remind me that You peer down into this heart, You see the darkest corners in Your light, and I hide nothing from You! You see the dirt there and still long to forgive me, to cleanse me, and to create in me a clean heart that can love Your faithfully!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment