Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The One Who does it


Say therefore to the people of Israel, ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment.’
Exodus 6:6

God has a conversation with Moses in Exodus 6:1-13 that was meant to strengthen Moses for the hard task ahead of convincing Pharaoh to release the Israelites from slavery in Egypt. In this conversation, Moses asks just one question, revealing his struggle feeling sinfully inadequate for the task God had given him (Exodus 6:12). All the rest of the conversation is a sermon from God about Himself, clearly speaking of His ruling intentions and power to perform what He has willed.

Four times God refers to Himself by His covenant name, Yahweh (the old King James translation of this was Jehovah), and God emphatically states His powerful control over the situation with this repeated declaration: I am the LORD (Yahweh). God is clearly in control of both His covenant people Israel AND their oppressors in Egypt. Both sides were under His authority and in His view. He would soon show the world, through His man Moses, what it looked like for Yahweh to be the LORD. Throughout this conversation God clearly states what He has done and will do. There are 13 of these statements:
  • “I will do...” Exodus 6:1
  • “I appeared to Abraham...” Exodus 6:3
  • “I... established my covenant...” Exodus 6:4
  • “I have heard the groaning of the people...” Exodus 6:5
  • “I have remembered my covenant...” Exodus 6:5
  • “I will bring you out...” Exodus 6:6
  • “I will deliver you...” Exodus 6:6
  • “I will redeem you...” Exodus 6:6
  • “I will take you to be my people...” Exodus 6:7
  • “I will be your God...” Exodus 6:7
  • “I will bring you into the land...” Exodus 6:8
  • “I swore to give...” Exodus 6:8
  • “I will give it to you...” Exodus 6:8
O LORD,
You are sovereign, We are not. You do not forget Your people, of that we are sure. So we wait and trust that even now, You are working to bring about Your deliverance through Your Son in this world as the gospel promises and we believe. All the events that are happening right now are not things that surprise You, but are in the wisdom of Your redemptive plan. You are Yahweh... powerful keeper of all that You say. We trust You!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment