Monday, May 6, 2019

course correction


Therefore, be very strong to keep and to do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, turning aside from it neither to the right hand nor to the left...
Joshua 23:6

I love getting out on the open water in a canoe or kayak. But when doing so, I have found it easy to be carried by the wind and waves without careful attention to some fixed object on the shoreline by which I can navigate and maintain direction. Without the fixed goal providing clear direction, I’ll drift all over the place and zig zag around the lake aimlessly. In life, the Word of God is my fixed beacon, keeping me on course and away from the dangers of drifting far from home.

Joshua, as a brave spiritual leader, knew the importance of God’s Word for such personal stability. This is why near the end of his life he passionately instructed Israel’s leaders to keep the Law of God as their fixed point of reference so that they deviated neither left nor right. They had to stay true so that they could lead true. Leaders need the fixed point, the true north, the steady reference of solid truth to navigate a shifting culture. Leaders need Jesus shown as the Truth of God in the Word of God.

So Lord Jesus,
I am thankful You are my Bright and Morning Star today! By the light of Your Word shining steady in my sky I can navigate true on my voyage home. Your Word lights my path and guides my steps. Help me, like Joshua, to call others (especially leaders) to live with the steady constant of Your Word providing necessary course correction!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment