Monday, May 27, 2019

my unbelief


Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”
Mark 9:24

I find this to be a refreshingly honest response to Jesus. Growing up as I did with a lot of Christian culture platitudes, I never really saw Christians make much of this sort of conversation with Jesus. Talk of faith was all about moving mountains, trying harder... and never.... never admitting any weakness or struggle. It would never make Christians echo with a hearty “Amen!” to have someone say “I am struggling and need Jesus to help my lack of faith.”

But faith is a struggle. It is legitimately hard sometimes. Not because I am a skeptic. I believe God exists.... I know He does without a doubt in my mind. He has done too much for me to become an atheist! No... my struggle with unbelief stems not from skepticism, but from my own selfish, sinful heart wanting its way. I want what I want and that comes in conflict with the rule of Jesus in my life. That is what creates my unbelief.

So, like this man, I cry out to Jesus for a cleansing touch. I believe Him. He will help my selfish, sinful, wandering heart to truly believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment