Tuesday, May 7, 2019

both wheat and honey


But he would feed you with the finest of the wheat,
and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.
Psalm 81:16

This psalm calls Israel to rejoice in a history of God’s deliverance and protection. God delivered His people from Egypt. God provided for His people in the wilderness. God delivered His people into the Promised Land. God provided them with abundant food as by faith they claimed the promise. Once in the place of promise, God delivered Israel from enemies and provided His people with peace, food, and shelter as they obeyed His covenant in worship of Him.

Now in this psalm, Asaph calls Israel to rejoice in God’s care of them. He calls them to keep the covenant, to worship the Lord, to remember and celebrate their deliverance, and to enjoy the provision God gives. There is the finest of wheat grown in their farms. There is an abundance of honey, as if it bubbled up from rock springs, for them to enjoy. God wants to satisfy them, with the essentials (wheat) and the superfluous (honey) for His glory, if they would only rejoice in Him.

Wheat and honey are wonderful pictures. We would expect the wheat... for daily bread. But the honey? That’s a sweet bonus! That is a surprise of grace. God is both practical and pampering!

In Jesus I too have been delivered. Through Jesus I too am satisfied. I rejoice in the God Who provides for me. I am in awe of His great love shown to me in Christ. I worship the One Who has brought me this life, sustains me with essentials, thrills me with surprises, and gives me good things every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment