Monday, April 1, 2019

surprise return


Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
Matthew 24:44

It is this part of the gospel story that I think is the most neglected feature of the good news. I just don’t hear it a lot in gospel-preaching these days. Jesus is returning. His Kingdom is what His people are supposed to be living for and anticipating Him is a large part of that kind of lifestyle. Of course the Kingdom has already begun to be built as the Church proclaims the gospel worldwide, but it is also not yet here until Jesus Himself returns. We must be working in grateful anticipation of what is yet to come, equally rejoicing because of the salvation Jesus has already accomplished. A robust eschatology (doctrine of last things) accompanies gospel-preaching around a faithful soteriology (doctrine of salvation). The future reign of Jesus in this world is as important to our faith as His present saving of people around the world.

I am motivated to take Jesus’ words here quite seriously. I ask myself these questions: Am I ready for Jesus to come when I least expect Him... even today? Do I love with intense gospel focus so that I can account of myself well when my Master returns to evaluate how well His trusted servants have carried on His work? It will happen. That day will come. And I want Jesus pleased that my love and service were as much like His as I could achieve by yielding to His Spirit and humbling myself around His word.

My Savior and King,
Come quickly Lord Jesus! I believe You will return to judge the living and the dead. I believe Your Kingdom will come and Your will must be done even now on earth. I remind myself from Your own commands as an entrusted servant of Yours. I must be ready. I must wait. I want the surprise of Your glorious appearing! Even so, come Lord Jesus!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment