Tuesday, April 30, 2019

a home seized from giants

So now give me this hill country of which the Lord spoke on that day, for you heard on that day how the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities. It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the Lord said.
Joshua 14:12

Caleb is eighty-five years old when he makes this request of Joshua to receive his inheritance in Hebron. Caleb wanted to seize the land where giants roamed, where the sons of Anak (“the long-necked ones) built fortified cities that so threatened Israel forty years earlier that they disobeyed God and suffered in the wilderness for it. Yet even now Caleb is still a warrior. He will chase off giants, tear down walls, and receive through actions of great faith and courage what he believed God would always give to his people. Caleb, the old giant slayer, would know peace in God’s provision.

Caleb’s bold faith is an example for all who aren’t afraid to trust God in an unknown. Really, there are always giants out there, looming over us, threatening our future, tempting us to fear and false shame. But when God promises to drive out giants, we can trust. We can obey. We can believe and by faith we can chase them down and see God bring great victory.

In thirty years, should God graciously grant me them, would I be as tenacious as Caleb? Would I be ready to tear down cities?... face down giants?... trust God with what seems impossible? Man... I want to be that kind of believer. I hope that will be me.

Lord,
Give me that kind of faith that drove Caleb to charge mountain cities filled with mocking giants! Help me to trust that no matter how intimidating circumstances may loom over me, Your power dwarves the giants! Give me a home, wrested from the hands of giants, in Your mountain country!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment