Monday, April 15, 2019

love debt


Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:8

What Paul is saying here is that the motivation that a Christian carries into all social relationship is found in the love of Christ for people. Love is how we live among others. It creates kindness. It gives us the capacity to live in a peaceable way with other people. And it pleases God. 

Paul goes on to show that the undercurrent of all the social commandments in the Old Testament Law is indeed love. Love leads us not to covet, steal, murder, or commit adultery (Romans 13:9). Love means we love our neighbor as our self. It can thus do no wrong to another. It is God’s desire that His love shape society. And this is needed in neighborhoods, in cities, in workplaces, in social media especially, and in our homes. When we believe the gospel and share the love of Christ, Christians become the salt and light that Jesus meant for us to be.

Lord,
Loving like You want me to love is what I am called to do. This will help me to love others. If I see my neighbor as an inconvenience to my agenda, I cannot love as I ought. But if I love people as You love people, then all people are souls for whom You provided salvation at great cost. Jesus, help me love people in this way. Help me to care for them with Your love. This pleases the Father. This changes the world!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment