Tuesday, April 16, 2019

My sin is no secret.

O God, you know my folly;
the wrongs I have done are not hidden from you.
Psalm 69:5

This is why I confess my sins to God. He knows them all already, so it isn’t about letting Him in on my secrets, but it is about no longer deceiving myself that I have such secrets. He knows the battle I fight to pursue holiness. And He knows when I drop my guard. He knows when I secretly delight in a sinful imagination, when my self finds pleasure in pursuing what is wrong and accepting it as a treat to my soul. God knows my inner conversation that rationalizes a thing in order to make it a ruling desire that then leads me down the path beyond self-deception to sin that breaks God’s heart.

I cannot hide from God. He knows when pride becomes my master. He knows why I want what I want so I do what I do. And the foolishness of my sin is far from my thinking when I am caught up in the snare of either pleasing my desire or getting what I think I deserve for myself by any means I can. Only when the price of sin demands to be paid do I look back in sad dismay at my folly. But thank God, it is not too late. Jesus died for my shameful sin. He bore the guilt so that I can repent, believe, turn from sin and be restored to walk in obedience again.

Every time that I sin, I know these two truths: 1) I know that God knows every intimate detail of even my most private thought and the wrong I do and 2) I know that Jesus bore the guilt and punishment of that wrong for me. I can then in repentance and faith turn to Jesus to seek grace from my Father against Whom my sin is very great.

Father,
My sin is never a secret before You. All things are laid bare before the eyes of You, my God, and to You I must explain myself. I am sorrowful over sin as I realize this even this morning. I ask for forgiveness through Christ my Savior, My Advocate, My Defender, My Redeemer, My only hope! I seek to live openly before You since You know my heart and Your Spirit seeks to convict my conscience quickly in my struggle with sin. I want this awareness to keep me committed to a holiness that pleases You and brings joy to my life!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment