Friday, January 25, 2019

You light my lamp.


For it is you who light my lamp;
the Lord my God lightens my darkness.
Psalm 18:28

Sitting in a cold January pre-dawn darkness, my Bible open in front of me, I pray for some direction. And without fail, the Lord strikes the match and a flame breaks out in front of my eyes as His Word begins to light my day. My lamp now lit, I read on, finding strength, finding comfort, finding my own needs met in the grace of my Lord. I see my sin. I feel His mercy warm my heart with gospel light. The darkness starts to fade.

I pause for prayer. “Thank You, my God, for this light. I need it! I see Your mercy. I plead Your grace. I cannot see without Your light! You must lead me, for the day will be cold and short, the night is so very long, and sin waits to wrap icy fingers around my heart and draw me from Your light. But Your Word kindles a warm flame that will sustain itself, light my way, keep me safe and keep me true. Thank You, my God, for Your holy, precious Word!”

Pausing to reflect, I see where the light must shine on me and in me, not only on my heart, but in my actions. Grace will lead me to love my wife and family as well as I can. I pray for them to see God’s gracious light as He protects and guides them this day. God’s light will shine on my neighbors and friends. I pray that those who may not yet know Jesus might find His light today! His light will also lead His people, so I ask that my church might seriously shine His light among ourselves and to our neighbors and the nations so Jesus might be the light of the world.

I look out the patio door and there is a faint glow starting to show itself in the southeast. A January sunrise is about to break forth. God is once again lighting the darkness as He always does. Grateful, I thank Him that He is the lighter of my lamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment