Thursday, January 17, 2019

the extra mile

And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.
Matthew 5:41

The expectations Jesus sets for how His followers will love in this world are deep. He expects more than action. He expects those who follow Him to exhibit true character from within that transforms WHY they do what they do. They live with an intentionality. He expects them to live in His love, motivated by His love, in order to show His love.

This section of the Sermon on the Mount get to this love in what must be the most difficult test of love: how to handle an enemy. Jesus begins by telling us that retaliation has not place as the motive of His followers. We aren’t out to live for revenge or personal justice for ourselves. We turn the other cheek when wronged (Matthew 5:39). We aren’t living “an eye for an eye” or to only love those who love us. Jesus would die forgiving those who crucified Him. That high standard informs our call to love all people always.

But it is hard to walk that extra mile. It takes the work of Christ in us to help us to let the love of Christ love through us. I must repent of my selfish demand to get what I want. I must be willing to understand the other person who is at odds with me. I must also be willing to be misunderstood. I must look at the person who is against me as one for whom Christ died... one who desperately needs the mercy of God found only in Jesus. I must see their sin, including any sin that makes my life difficult, as something Jesus longs to forgive in them. By patiently caring even for enemies, the gospel can be shown, and by telling them to the good news, they can be transformed from enemies to friends if they just receive it and trust Jesus as Savior and Lord. Going the extra mile with the gospel changes the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment