Monday, October 22, 2018

My offensive self-righteousness

You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law.
Romans 2:23

Try as best I can, I fail at keeping all of God’s law. I can’t do it. I am a sinner who at some point will fail to keep what God says I should. Even the Ten Commandments show the betrayal in my heart once I understand them as Jesus taught them. I have lied. I have cheated to get what I want. I have coveted. I have lusted. I have hated. I am a guilty lawbreaker on all counts.

And just like self-deceived self-righteous people everywhere, I want to think I can cover it all up. That means I am all bluster as I try to tell people to do right by God’s law while I myself often fail to do so. I judge severely the failures of others while all the while minimizing or conspiring to hide my own sins. I may at times boast in the law while dishonoring God in breaking it. I need the hope that only the gospel can bring.

Lord,
My self-righteous law breaking is a sin against You. It shows me how broken I am and what my hearts needs most is redemption and renewal through Jesus. I am powerless to live a righteous life. I need the life of Jesus found only in Your resurrecting work. You died and rose again for my law-breaking heart to be remade. I will let You do this work in me and stop trying to please You under my own power. I am accepted by God through Christ alone!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment