Monday, October 1, 2018

no need to worry


And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?
Luke 12:25-26

Jesus turns the root of my anxiety upside down as He calls me to trust in my Father’s care. The whole problem with anxiety is that it wants control. I fear what I cannot control, and the span of my life is one of the most anxiety inducing questions a human can face. We did not control our birth and we cannot give ourselves even an additional guaranteed hour. Oh we try. Living with 21st century medical abilities and scientific knowledge, we can try to eat right, treat our bodies right, or live safely. But those things cannot make anything other than a statistically probable outlook.

Don’t get me wrong. I do believe in wise stewardship of our bodies. Eating healthy, exercising, cultivating mindfulness, working at social interaction and emotion health are all things I want to pay attention to for good and godly reasons. But they are all submissive to the broader commitment to trust in the loving, sovereign rule of God. To defeat anxiety about the stuff of life, I must trust God, the giver of all life. And I must believe that He cares for me better than He feeds the birds and clothes the fields, both of which enjoy abundance.

Lord,
You know as I’ve been aging and dealing with my mortal body’s changes, I have struggled with anxiety. But You are wise, sovereign, and You control my world... not me. You will do with me what is beautiful and good in Your great grace. I thank You for this reminder now this morning.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment