Monday, September 25, 2017

what lasts forever


Lift up your eyes to the heavens,
and look at the earth beneath;
for the heavens vanish like smoke,
the earth will wear out like a garment,
and they who dwell in it will die in like manner;
but my salvation will be forever,
and my righteousness will never be dismayed.
Isaiah 51:6

We live in a world of entropy. Stuff wears out. What now is living will eventually die. Creation was cursed with death upon Adam’s sin, and God’s faithfulness to us since then has been to graciously provide a salvation beyond the inevitability of our own mortality. This old world wears slowly out, spinning thread bare and tattered like a comfortable old coat. We are bound by our lives in it to a decaying and dying universe. All people, everywhere, from any time, will die. This occurs with 100% certainty.

God’s mercy does not disappoint us. He provides salvation that never dies, but will be always active for the redemption of His people forever. To know His salvation in Jesus now is to know eternal life in Him forever. And only God can lead us to the eternity we were created to enjoy with Him. Only His salvation can save us beyond this death-bound worldly existence. His is our hope. One day He will re-create a new heavens and a new earth not cursed by our sin and we will enjoy the universe as it was always meant to be. Until then, His salvation will not disappoint us!

Lord Jesus,
I remember that this mortal body is destined for dust. Just as the earth wears out, so my own life gets thin the longer I live here. You are my salvation and You do not dismay! Your salvation is forever, and that is a long time to know You! Oh, keep my eyes fixed on You as I live out my earthly days for Your glory. I know I will not be disappointed!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment