Monday, September 11, 2017

praying with Jesus


In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.
Hebrews 5:7

Jesus prayed to His Father, and He taught His disciples to pray. He offered prayers of blessing, prayers of thanksgiving, and also interceded for others with deep emotional and spiritual commitment. Just before His arrest, trials, beatings, and execution, He was praying with intensity in Gethsemane with His men. He was ultimately "saved from death" through resurrection victory over death three days after death because the Father honored the high priestly prayers of His Son.

Jesus agonized in prayer, and He is the sinless Son of God! How much more should I commit to the earnest hard work of offering prayer and supplications? I must pray in repentance so often, which is itself quite emotionally tapping. In addition, as a pastor shepherd, I am often called to pray with and for the flock in my care, often with the burdens of their repentance, often with the pain of their afflictions and losses, always with the love of Christ for them pressing hard against my heart. And the tears flow as sometimes the loud cries of this burden of prayer weights upon me.

And in those moments, Jesus Himself, High Priest and Intercessor for all believers, helps carry the load of that prayer to the Father. The Spirit of God also intercedes, joining in my groans and making sense of what I struggle to put into words. I do not ever pray in those moments alone. And when I pray to God through His Son, I know the Father hears His Son. And I am heard. I can be sure of it. And the burden grows lighter as Jesus eases the load.

No comments:

Post a Comment