Friday, September 15, 2017

priest and sacrifice


He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.
Hebrews 7:27

Jesus is the better high priest because He is perfectly sinless and is both priest and sacrifice. As our Great High Priest He intercedes for us before God in a way that we cannot. As our perfect sacrifice Jesus atoned for all sin once for all time at His crucifixion. His sacrifice was offered only once for all people, all sin, and all time. There is now no need for priests or daily sacrifices. Jesus has guaranteed a better way of dealing with our sin (Hebrews 7:22).

Jesus willingly gave His perfect life as a sacrifice forever on the cross. Through His death, sin is atoned. And God the Father raised Him back from the dead as a guarantee of our own new life in Christ. And now Jesus always lives to make intercession for us, pleading for sinners, always bearing the scars of His love and redeeming work for us.

Lord Jesus,
You are "holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens" (Hebrews 7:26). You are the only sacrifice for sins that brings us forgiveness and that satisfies God's wrath on sin. And You willingly gave Yourself for us. I believe. I trust Your sacrifice. I plead it's effectiveness. I know You are my Savior and I commit to You as My Lord. And in that commitment is all I need for this life, and solid trust for my eternity. I live because You willingly offered up Yourself.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment