Wednesday, September 6, 2017

full days


And every day he was teaching in the temple, but at night he went out and lodged on the mount called Olivet. And early in the morning all the people came to him in the temple to hear him.
Luke 21:37-38

This is the regular schedule of the Passion Week according to Luke's gospel. Jesus kept up an exhausting pace of teaching in a city packed with Passover pilgrims who flocked to the temple in overflow crowds to hear Him. All of this was leading somewhere very important. The pace quickens as Jesus pours Himself into ministry that will culminate in false accusations from His enemies, illegal trials, and His execution on a cross by Roman soldiers outside the city of Jerusalem.

As Jesus poured His life into teaching people, He also would pour out His blood in dying for the sins of the world. He would sacrifice His time, His energy, His very life for us. It began with this intense schedule. And after His death, when He seemed silenced for good, He would burst from His borrowed tomb three days later having beaten sin, death, and hell for every one who heard Him teach, and for all the sinners who will ever live.

The gospel plan placed upon Jesus a heavy schedule. But He made use of it for the love of us. And now, as I offer Him my new day this chilly September morning, how can I not fill it as much as possible, with gospel efforts and thoughts? It seems fitting to serve Him with a full day seeing how much He did so for me. He poured Himself out in love for me. I can pour myself into my day for Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment