Friday, September 22, 2017

at a distance


And all his acquaintances and the women who had followed him from Galilee stood at a distance watching these things.
Luke 23:49

These people were witnesses to the most momentous transaction to ever take place. They watched as Jesus, the eternal Son of God, died for the sin of the world. Luke’s gospel recalls one final prayer cried out by Jesus: “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit!” And then He died. And from a distance those who knew Him watched the atonement take place,

The land was supernaturally dark as the sun’s light failed. The curtain in the temple that was meant to separate sinful humans beings from the holy presence of God was torn in two. God Himself was letting the world know what was happening. In the darkest day, new grace was rising up as sin would be forever atoned by the death of Jesus. The Son would lead us directly to the Father with no more need for human priests or endless sacrifices on an altar. Jesus cried out and died once for all.

I view these events from an even greater distance, but believe them with all my heart. I see love at the cross that all people need to experience. I know my Savior there and hope for others to find Him. And as I believe, the distance is shattered and Jesus is as close as my whispered prayer of repentance and faith and worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment