Friday, December 1, 2023

of merchants and locusts


You increased your merchants
more than the stars of the heavens.
The locust spreads its wings and flies away.
Nahum 3:16

It is foolish to put one’s trust in business, in economies, or in the ability to make money. When Ninevah fell under God’s judgment, no amount of business expertise, no profit margins, no bank accounts, no healthy economic forecasts would deliver the nation. The capital city was obliterated, the empire toppled, the merchants were all made paupers, and the economy collapsed. It was as if a devouring plague of locusts stripped everything, eating wealth like crops, leaving businessmen destitute, and then flying away.

All my life I have lived in a country with a thriving economy. Even in temporary recessionary times, America has been on the top of the world in terms of wealth, average lifestyle, and per capita income. Although I have never been particularly wealthy by American standards, by world standards I live like a king! I’ve never gone to bed without food, shelter, security, access to healthcare, clothing, or at least a little money in my pocket. For that I am very thankful. But I don’t take it for granted. I’m amazed God has kept my culture thriving as long as it has.

God will not let trust in riches steal His glory. Wealth is deceptive. Riches pierce the heart with many pangs. Estates should be stewarded with one goal in mind: “Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.” Christians invest only in eternity. And for that reason I reject the American Dream and trust instead in God’s provision and the glory of the gospel. The locust could eat all my material possessions tomorrow. Yet God will not leave me without His provision and love! May Jesus always be my security, my trust, my provider, and my treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment