Tuesday, December 12, 2023

competing captivations


See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.
Colossians 2:8

As I read this warning, I am reminded to carefully consider what thoughts I entertain, what rationale for life I will offer up, and I am called to essentially evaluate why I do what I do. It is easy to be captivated by another kind of thinking than that which Christ teaches us. This world is filled with competing captivations. It is the water in which we swim. Here are quite honestly a few that can become alluring enemies of the Christian life if we let them:

Self-empowerment. This is a very dominant philosophy in our culture. It underlies many a “family film” and our culture makes heroes of those who “believe” in themselves… even if their lifestyle is selfish and sinful. I’ve found myself tempted to fall for it, oddly enough, especially as I’ve had to face so many solo experiences this past year. How dare I think I did them without the enablement of Christ?! But ultimately self-power is an empty deceit because I lack the power to change my broken, sinful heart. And I know what lurks there. I need Christ and the gospel to change and empower me.

Human relationships. It is tempting to look for people to be what only Jesus can be. Don’t get me wrong… human relationships, especially with other Christians… are vital. God made us social beings and it is not good to be alone. But human relationships are not the sole substance of my life and if I find my only happiness in them I WILL be disappointed. I will also disappoint others because as fallen sinners, all human relationships are marred… will have a degree of brokenness that only Christ can mend. The controller of all relationships and King over all the love I seek with others is Jesus!

Materialism. I am still very much a child of consumeristic, American-Dream, late 20th century cultural persuasion. But having stuff, maintaining stuff, buying stuff, and owning stuff… none of that experience is a source of lasting happiness. Materialism does not fulfill because my soul must love souls and be loved by another Greater One to find true fulfillment. Materialism’s failure is this: THINGS DO NOT LOVE BACK! That is why Christ owns me and I claim nothing but the cross and an empty tomb as my greatest hope of possession. Only then am I forever free of greed and consumeristic unmet wants. Only then can I find joy in being His as He is mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment