Monday, December 11, 2023

my heart is encouraged


…that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Colossians 2:2-3

This is a prayer for encouragement. Paul prayed it for the believers in a specific congregation. He prayed for a church whose members he had met and that grew so that there were also many members he had not met. And it is a rich prayer revealing strong facets of encouragement in Christ. Look at the list:
  • Hearts drawn to other believers in love. We all crave close relationships. We are designed to thrive in community. Christians should find this among other believers in a local church. Our hearts are “being knit together in love.”
  • A spiritual life with true riches. The wealth of gospel community should be what each Christian knows and loves the most. We need one another. Our relationships enrich us.
  • A new understanding in Christ. Paul’s word is “mystery”, meaning a powerful truth in Jesus that was a “surprise” to Old Testament theology but is now revealed in the gospel. And this surprise is a joyous revelation of new wisdom and knowledge.
  • Possession of the greatest treasures. Christ is who and what we value. And nothing in this world, no gold or silver, no investments, no property, no earthly possessions match the priceless treasure hidden in our life with Christ.
Lord,
My life is bound in the experience of the gospel. My heart is knit to my Christian family. My wealth is found in Jesus. My wisdom is Christ. My treasure forever kept in heaven is hidden in my Savior. I am indeed encouraged despite whatever comes my way!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment