Monday, January 25, 2021

rock and stronghold


But the LORD has become my stronghold,
and my God the rock of my refuge.
Psalm 94:22

No matter the circumstance, despite the challenges life my throw at us, believers have a secure stronghold in relationship with God. The storms of life may blow. Broken situations marred by the curse and complicated by a sinful world might tempt us to despair of any hope. But God is our Rock. God is our refuge. The Lord is bigger and stronger than anything outside us. He is clearly in control.

God keeps His people. And He always will. That is the confidence offered in worship here in this Psalm. It was a blessing Israel enjoyed as God’s covenant nation when this psalm was composed. It is a blessing that Christians too can know because Jesus has promised “I am with you always” and “I will not leave you as orphans”. God loves us and His love promises to provide for us and keep us.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me, 
let me hide myself in thee; 
let the water and the blood, 
from thy wounded side which flowed, 
be of sin the double cure; 
save from wrath and make me pure. 


Not the labors of my hands 
can fulfill thy law's demands; 
could my zeal no respite know, 
could my tears forever flow, 
all for sin could not atone; 
thou must save, and thou alone. 


Nothing in my hand I bring, 
simply to the cross I cling; 
naked, come to thee for dress; 
helpless, look to thee for grace; 
foul, I to the fountain fly; 
wash me, Savior, or I die. 

While I draw this fleeting breath, 

when mine eyes shall close in death, 
when I soar to worlds unknown, 
see thee on thy judgment throne, 
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, 
let me hide myself in thee. 



No comments:

Post a Comment